Friday, March 14, 2008

Update on Desk Experiment

A few weeks ago, I challenged myself to clear off my desk----totally. It was part of a New Year’s resolution because I was tired of looking at the same stacks every day. I outlined in a prior blog how I bought a box and at the end of the day put everything in there, leaving my desk totally clear. After a few hiccups, I have to say, I’m loving this.


I come into my office in the morning and I am ready to go. Everything I need for the day is in the box. I start pulling things out according to priority. When I’m done with one item, I take out the next. I haven’t lost one piece of paper so far—everything’s in the box. I must admit I’m waiting for this system to fail me, for something to happen where I’ll have to admit that this box idea just doesn’t work. It’s too simple.

Of course, there are things that have sifted to the bottom of the box that I may never get to and don’t really care about. But I’ll leave them in there for a while. I don’t see the harm in that. During my daily forage through said box, I see these small reminders of obscure possibilities so there’s no worry that I’ll ever forget about them. I just don’t need to repeatedly see them sitting on my desk, taking up valuable space.

So, if it were just the expansive feeling I get when I walk into my office, that would be worth this exercise. But there’s an unexpected benefit to putting things in the box that I can’t explain, which is: I have more time at the end of the day. I didn’t expect this, yet I should know that this is how Feng Shui works. Since I began using the box system, I have done projects and juggled more commitments which would never have happened during the pre-box era. There’s no logical connection here between putting my stuff in a box and seeing the hours expand, except for the energy of it all. As a Feng Shui consultant I shouldn’t be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment