Friday, March 28, 2008

It's a Small World After All

Last summer, the publisher of my first book "Wind and Water" failed to tell me they no longer had an inventory of this book, and furthermore they had no intention of reprinting it. So in the fall, I obtained the rights. Aware there was still an active readership, I began a long process of looking for a printer. The costs from domestic printers were astronomical, staggering even, and I knew I couldn’t fund something like that.

At about the same time, I had a conversation with a past student of mine from Michigan who had just written her own Feng Shui and gardening book. I was lamenting my dilemma when she gave me the name of her printer----in India. It was a long shot, but I sent off an email with the specifications. The cover of my book is complicated----varnishes, metallics, overlays. I know it was the reason for the high printing bids; a couple printers opted not to bid it anticipating the standards required to make it work.

Within a few hours of my initial request I received an email quote from the printer. The quote was one-third the cost of the domestic printers. I was sure they had misunderstood, so I sent them a copy of the book. They assured me that was an accurate quote—furthermore it included shipping and customs fees. My editor Dorie and I ruminated over whether this was a good idea or not—something too good to be true never works out. India is so far away—how would I ever sort out a problem?

During the midst of weighing the risks, I got a personal email from the sales person. It seems he had read my book and had found it "thoughtful and life-changing." It would be "an honor" for them to print it. He assured me he was familiar with Vaastu (the Indian form of Feng Shui) but was looking forward to implementing what I was proposing in "Wind and Water." That beat all...what printer bothers to read the books? And pay attention to the content?

Perhaps it was a clever sales tactic, but that email was the beginning of what has been a delightful and charming relationship. They have been conscientious; have air mailed proofs; have air mailed the first press runs; have assured me of some small tweaks they would be making to assure even better quality; have been patient while my bank tried to figure out how to wire money to India. The list goes on. We call each other "friend" now----"My dear friend Carole..." "Thank you, Jagdish, my friend, for your quick response....."

Yes, initially it was their price, but after these heart-felt emails, I have not regretted my decision to take the book to India. Of course, it didn’t hurt that their pre-run copies were impeccable, surpassing the last edition the publisher provided me. According to their latest production schedule the books will be arriving at the distributor here in Minneapolis on May 4th. I don’t feel badly about taking this job out of the country. For one thing, I have some new friends in India. And for another, I’m sure when someone picks up one of these new books, they’ll know there’s something extra special about it. Something they sadly would have missed if the books had been printed by anyone else. Thank you, Jagdish, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment