Friday, March 7, 2008

Feng Shui for the Future

Over the years I’ve gotten requests for insights about implementing Feng Shui in countless and interesting ways, but this week I got one that beat all. The editor of a science fiction web-site asked if I’d contribute information for an article she was writing about the Feng Shui of a spaceship. I think she was tongue-in-cheek, at least I hope so as that’s the direction I took it. Of course, I haven’t heard back from her so perhaps I missed the point.

Just contemplating the possibilities was a fun exercise. Since the traditional form of Feng Shui is based on the constellations as they relate to earth, what happens when the spaceship leaves the earth’s atmosphere? It would seem to me we couldn’t really discuss what we know about the influence of directions because it wouldn’t apply. Is there a north and south on another planet? Without much gravity this might be hard to determine.

Let’s say we could determine the ming gua number of the captain of the spaceship, presuming he/she/it is humanoid and had an actual birth day. Would it do us much good to know this if directions as we know them are non-existent? I don’t think so. Would it help to know when the spaceship was built so we could employ a Flying Star chart? Again, the answer is no because we need directions to make that work. A Ba Zhai chart is out of the question because the spaceship is always moving around so facing and sitting orientations would be impossible to determine unless you considered the facing direction the way the spaceship is moving when flying through space and the sitting direction is the back. Of course, the argument could be made that you’d want the facing and sitting directions to be determined when the spaceship has landed somewhere. Ah, but once again, we need directions to put sense to this. If I were the resident Feng Shui consultant on a spaceship, I daresay my compass wouldn’t do me much good.


All I could offer her was some good old western Feng Shui tips: watch for clutter, make sure the captain is in full command (high-backed chair, power corner, headboard), the importance of color. I remember those old Star Trek television shows----Captain Kirk always had his back to the entrance of the deck. Those doors would slide open with lightning speed and, guess what----he had to swivel around in his chair to see who was coming in! It’s amazing he made it to anywhere. If those Klingons would have caught on to that Feng Shui snafu, Kirk would have been toast.

So, for all of you out there who are studying or thinking about studying Feng Shui, here’s your future. Get your engines ready. The countdown has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment