Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Virtual Flow of Feng Shui: Tweets from the Universe

I’m taking a six-week course on social networking. I had a guarantee which would refund all my money if after the first week I didn’t find it helpful. On the contrary, I’ve found the information fascinating and exciting. Our discussions are about the endless virtual possibilities and how to access them. It would follow that the class itself is virtual. I sit home and stream the whole thing on-line on my computer.

For some of us who are familiar with the old business model of going somewhere to meet someone, engaging in face-to-face contact, joining a group that meets in a specific place on certain nights of the month, making cold-calls on someone who should buy our service/product, social networking is an entirely different paradigm. Despite what it may look like, this business model is friendlier and more people-based. Rather than doing business with someone first and possibly getting to be their friend later, social networking is based on being someone’s friend first---the business part comes later.

This is where social networking gets its bad name because on the outside it looks like all we’re doing is telling the world what we’re doing, what we had for dinner, where we’re heading for the afternoon---blah, blah, blah. It seems like inconsequential drivel, unworthy of my time. However, the valuable part of this is that someone is learning about me in small ways. They get to know a person----someone with whom they share the details of life, someone they can trust. They learn what makes me laugh and, in turn, what angers me. Once the trust has been secured, the relationship may move into the business arena. Virtual becomes profitable.

This internet world is provocative, vast and powerful. The opportunities to expand are infinite. It is Feng Shui in action in a whole new way----flow and movement transcending the physical space. This is not the time to be stagnant in any parts of life----our space, our actions, or our network. It’s the time to be in the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment