Friday, May 1, 2009

Sweeping the Flow Under the Rug

I love when things just happen, especially when I’ve spent lots of energy trying to force it to happen. I had an experience in my dining room that exemplified to me the necessity to let stuff unfold in its own way.

Our cats access the back yard mainly through a sliding glass door going out from our dining room. Because they sometimes come in with wet little paws if it’s rained or there might have been some snow, I placed a rug there. I haven’t trained them to wipe their feet, but it did act as a slight buffer before they hit the rest of our hardwood floors. The rug disintegrated over time and I threw it out quite a while ago. That’s when the effort to find the right rug kicked in.

My argument was that it would visible from many angles of our house, so it had to be more than functional----it had to be Feng Shui perfect. It was important to find the right color to go with the dining room. I wanted it to be round if at all possible. Plus I didn’t want it to be so special (as in expensive) that having cats walk over it with wet, dirty paws would cause concern. Mind you, for years, we had a very unattractive woven thing laying there serving the purpose. I never liked it and took it away when company was coming. However, now I could put all that behind me and have an attractive rug with all the features mentioned above.

Over the last few months I found lots of rugs, tons of rugs, more than enough rugs to place in front of all our doors and more. But there was always something not quite right----color was off, too big, too small, too expensive. I’d come home empty-handed from various rug-shopping ventures, frustrated with not finding just the appropriate one. Then last weekend I went to visit my sister. She is the catalog queen, so during some down time during my visit I started looking through one of her cheesy little catalogs. What junk, I thought. What trivial nonsense. Who’d buy this crap? Wait, here’s my rug.

Sure enough, I found the perfect rug to put in front of the door—right color, size, design, price
($17). It came today and I put it in place. The cats love it (see photo of cats basking on new rug), I love it, proving once again if I didn’t try so hard, the thing I’m looking for will find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment