Thursday, February 26, 2009

Being Positive When it's all Negative

A week or so ago, I was asked to be on a radio program today to talk about Feng Shui and how it could help during these challenging times. Specifically the topic was "Creating a Positive Environment in Negative Times." This is a talk radio program and I was scheduled to have one half-hour with the host discussing ways people can change their environment to offset the negative world situation. Prior to the program the host and I had considered several ways to take the discussion prior to the program and established some talking points. She let me know that at some point she would open up the program for callers.

Although the weather was fine driving to the station, about ten minutes after I arrived, it started snowing. We had been warned of a huge snow storm headed our way so this wasn’t a surprise. By the time I went into the studio, the blowing snow made it impossible to see across the street. No one could predict the quick severity of the storm, so the first ten minutes of my time was used up by the weatherman giving listeners the latest forecast.

What I didn’t know is that prior to my segment, the host had asked listeners to call in with the name of the person they would most like to meet, dead or alive. Just as I was finally making my first point on-air, there was a caller. "KURT RUSSELL!!" she announced. I looked at my host who engaged the caller for several minutes about her preference. It was then time for a commercial and a weather update.

When we returned, I managed to finish my first point when another caller came on and gave a nice testimonial about using Feng Shui. The second caller wanted to meet Audrey Hepburn, and then the weatherman filled us in on more details. I had a moment to talk about red underwear, hear one more lengthy testimonial, have a commercial, and my time was up.

I left the station disappointed at the turn of events. A lot of effort and time had gone into preparation for this 30 minute segment which turned into no more than 5 or 6 minutes. My frustration was enhanced even further when I couldn’t retrace my steps to the parking ramp elevators (finally had to ask for help), couldn’t remember the floor I had parked on (three tries before I found my car), temporarily lost my parking ticket requiring me to find a place to pull over in the ramp and get out to search under the seat, pay $11 for one hour of parking, and spend 45 minutes driving home in a total white-out storm. The irony of the topic wasn’t lost on me----being positive when it’s negative. Somehow I mistakenly thought it was a topic I’d talk about not one I’d experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment