Saturday, February 7, 2009

All You Need is Dove

In my years of experience in the Feng Shui world, I have come up with a couple pretty earth-shattering revelations. They may be obvious once I state them, but I don’t think anyone else has claimed this data, so let me be the first. I’ve discovered some common threads that run through the lives of people who study and practice Feng Shui. Sometimes it’s a certain "je ne sais quoi" that simply hits me----someone just feels or looks like they’d be open to Feng Shui. Perhaps it’s the way they’re dressed or the fact that they’re shopping at Whole Foods. Whatever. I feel a sense of camaraderie with a total stranger.
However, my theory extends far past this idea. A long time ago I witnessed the inordinate amount of my clients who had cats. I kept track for a while and I went nearly one whole year visiting clients on a brisk basis. Each one had at least one cat. The first time I visited someone who didn’t have a cat, it was just odd. Having three cats myself, I feel a real kinship with other cat owners.
Now I have another discovery. Feng Shui people, almost without exception, love chocolate. Whenever we have a birthday celebration during one of our training weekends, someone brings cake---chocolate, of course. A student will go on a baking binge and bring treats for us all---brownies. The Wind and Water School of Feng Shui is housed in the Old Arizona complex in Minneapolis, part of which is a store. One of their specialities? Chocolates. Late last fall I re-released my first book while at the same time the owners of this store were introducing a new line of chocolates, so we teamed up with a "Feng Shui and Chocolate" event. People were streaming in all afternoon, blissed out with chocolate, asking Feng Shui questions, buying my books. Fun was had by all.

Sometimes a student will say they "take it or leave it" when talking about chocolate but I’ve yet to meet anyone who despises it. Of course, there’s always the possibility that someone who hates chocolate is too intimidated to admit this fact among all of us chocoholics.
As with any hypothesis, holes could be punched into these cat-chocolate claims. No doubt there’s someone out there, a well-qualified Feng Shui consultant who can’t tolerate either. But they’ll have to admit, if they’ve done any kind of research at all, they’re in the minority. Perhaps it’s a gender thing since most of my students and clients are women, and women are known to be partial to both. Somehow I don’t really think that undermines my theory much at all—don’t know why exactly, but my argument still feels strong. Now if I could just train my cats to bring me my Dove bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment