Friday, January 23, 2009

Fur Shui: Time Fur Everything

It seems these days we are all struggling with lack of time. Too much to do and too few hours in the day and days in the week. Even my cats remind me of this time issue. Hardly a day goes by when one of them doesn’t follow me around pathetically meowing, complaining that I take too much time doing stuff that doesn’t involve them. I’m hanging up clothes, fixing my hair, putting on make-up, going out to buy more clothes, putting on lotion, doing my nails, doing laundry. Of course, their motivation to get me to quit all this is because they either want something to eat, want to go out, want some attention, want, want, want. And here I am occupied with my own selfish activities. One day when I was looking at them it occurred to me that if we all still had fur how easy life would be.

Just taking clothes out of the equation of life would be a huge step forward in having time and energy. No shopping required, very little laundry, no ironing or dry cleaning. Nothing would need to be altered as my fur would fit my body. Anyway, a few pounds here or there----the fur would cover it.

The morning bathroom ritual would get incredibly simple. I could let go of having bad hair days because fur seems to fall into place no matter what. No more expensive hair cuts or foil jobs. I wouldn’t have to worry about sagging facial muscles as no one would notice under all the fur. All the creams, anti-wrinkle gels, make-up....no need for any of it.

Just the money saved would be reason enough to take the evolutionary step backward. Instead of clothes, we could buy more expensive food and luxurious beds to sleep in. We wouldn’t need coats anymore as our fur would keep us warm. I don’t see why we couldn’t still use the computer or use the phone even though our fingers were covered in fur. With all our extra money, we’d probably buy more expensive houses and fancier cars, take more trips, maybe work less hours.

I presume those of us who are Feng Shui consultants would find a brisk business if everyone was covered in fur. Without all the distractions of clothes, make-up, and hair, people would be more intent on having a beautiful home. They’d want their space set up in perfect order because it would be the only way to express their individuality. Having fur doesn’t allow much personal expression----maybe a snazzy collar or two but that would be about it.

Of course, if you think about it, someone would figure out how to dye patterns in your fur, how to sculpt designs into it which you’d have to keep up with regular visits to the fur salon. Collars would get more and more elaborate, more and more expensive, hand-made by other fur people, requiring mending, laundering, dry cleaning. Somehow we’d find ourselves back to where we are now: incorporating incessant and labor-intensive self-care into our lives. Then, we’d have to hire a Feng Shui professional to help with fur control.

No comments:

Post a Comment