Friday, February 8, 2008

Sitting Tall at My Desk

As a follow-up to my last blog about my New Year’s resolutions of clearing off my desk, cleaning out my closet, and blessing my house, I have much to report. I have done or am in the process of all three activities, but it has been the desk clearing which has impacted me the most. The reason I resolved to clear off every item from my desk is because I was tired of walking into my office and seeing piles of projects, reminders, and phone messages. I was tired of feeling overwhelmed with it all; I was tired of not knowing where to begin. I was.....well, tired.

Of course, clearing everything off the desk requires some thought----like, where is all this going to go? I had to have a file or some place to put the things I was working on and the things I needed to jump on first thing in the morning. So I bought a decorative box and started there. That ubiquitous pile of must-do actions was stacked up neatly and placed in the box, which, for now, sits conveniently under the desk. I piled up all the related items for a couple of on-going projects I’m always working on (too big for the box) and decided to put them each on a shelf in my book case. However, that required I clear off a couple shelves. Then where did that stuff go?

I went to my closet. I could put the shelf things in there, but I’d need to clear off some space in the closet first. Some used folders, some old magazines, and some out-dated information were all cleared out to make room for the shelf items which were being moved to make room for the desk items. Anyway, it did all work but this domino transaction took more than an afternoon.

My procedure now is that each day I come into my office, pick up the box, and start looking through it to see what needs to happen. At the end of the day, it all goes back in the box, leaving the desk open and receptive to new things. After a couple days, I did put a candle and a photo back on a corner of my desk so the office didn’t look abandoned.

Today I go into my little office and feel expansive. My desk is primed for new possibilities. Interestingly, along with clearing up my desk, some problems with a printer who has been trying to reprint my first book magically cleared up. In Feng Shui, there are no accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment